The statutory guidance for schools on providing careers guidance has been updated.
This statutory guidance is for:
- school staff
- local authorities that maintain pupil referral units
Statutory guidance is issued by law; you must follow it unless there is a good reason not to.
It applies to:
- local-authority-maintained schools
- community schools
- foundation or voluntary schools
- community or foundation special schools (other than those established in a hospital)
- academies and free schools
- pupil referral units (PRUs)
This guidance is part of the government’s Careers strategy: making the most of everyone’s skills and talents.
These are routine updates which include:
- More information on new requirements/expectations that were introduced in September 2018:
- for schools and colleges to publish information about their careers programme on their website.
- for schools and colleges to name their Careers Leader and publish their contact details on their website.
- More information about the roles and responsibilities of the Careers Leaders and signposting to new resources/support.
- Details about The Career & Enterprise Company’s new SEND Gatsby Benchmark Toolkit.
- Information about the new Compass (self-evaluation tool) for colleges.
- More information about destination measures, including a link to the new destination measures good practice guidance.
The guidance also states that
The Government requires all FE colleges to hold the matrix Standard if they are in receipt of funding from the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) Adult Education Budget.