This activity will help clients to appraise a new job or career opportunity by assessing their strengths and weaknesses against the opportunities and threats created by the role.
What To Do:
1. Consider the new role/opportunity. What would you be expected to do, and what skills and experience would you need?
2. Fill in the chart below, taking each section in turn:
Think about the skills and experience you have that is applicable to the new role/opportunity.
- What have you achieved?
- What are you good at?
- What skills do you have?
- What are your personal qualities?
Think about what skills and experience the role requires that you do not have.
- Do you lack any skills/qualifications?
- Do you lack any work experience?
- What personal qualities would you need to portray?
- What do you not enjoy doing?
Think about why you want the job. What does it offer in terms of development opportunities and how far does it go to meeting your career needs?
Think about the disadvantages of the job, the downsides and the risks of not getting it.
- What would the impact be on your personal circumstances, e.g. family, home and relationships?
- Who might you be competing with?
- Are there any requirements you can’t meet, e.g. are you required to drive but don’t have a car?